LOVE IS A RISK

208207_545503278796448_994710062_n

If you know me then you will be well aware that I tend to tailor most of my write-ups according to real life situations and this is no different. A friend of mine pinged me yesterday and seemed very worried. She told me about a long lost friend of hers who she dated briefly 10 years ago. She told me of how both of them reunited and in her own words “I think we still have feelings for each other”. Her fears are that she saw him as a player back then and still believes he is still a player now and might use and dump her if she dated him again. I can understand her fears to an extent but comon…judging a man based on his sins of 10 years ago?.
Life evolves and people change, I am not saying this guy in question has changed because I don’t know him from Adam but why not give him a chance to prove you right or wrong. Any girl in this situation, there are two things involved:
1. Date him with eyes open and rules set. If your afraid he is a player, remember that a player wants primarily two things from you and both end with a y (your body or your money or in some cases both). If your afraid he’s a player, just set ‘no sex no financial help’ rules and in a few months you will see if he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing or he is for real.
2. Don’t date him and you may never find out if he is really a player or not and if he’s feelings for you were real you have just missed out on the love of your life because of your insecurity and might spend the rest of your life in regret.
While researching for this write-up I saw a saying that resonates deeply with the title of this article “In the end we only regret chances we didn’t take.The relationships we were scared to have and the decisions we waited to long to make” (Anonymous).
The same way love is a risk, life itself is a risk.
There is a chance of you choking while eating does that stop you from eating?
There is a chance that a plane you boarded will crash, does that mean you will never use airplanes to travel?
There is a chance of a business venture failing, does that mean you will die broke?
There is a chance of death during childbirth, does that mean as a husband you won’t get you wife pregnant or as a woman you wouldn’t get pregnant?
Be brave enough to take risks and smart enough to discern the type of risks worth taking. I will end with this quote by Bob Marley ““to love is to risk, not being loved in return. to hope is to risk pain. to try is to risk failure. but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in my life is to risk nothing.””. Love is risky but at the end it is a risk worth taking.

love-risk

Advertisements

14 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Marques
    Jan 06, 2014 @ 20:03:08

Wow! Thanks for this write-up dear!

2. kinikanwo khoj
    Jan 06, 2014 @ 20:40:27

Good write up, u knw my “bestest” quote is “my greatest fear, my only courage”. It takes a whole lot to admit that u really care about someone but it takes a much bigger heart to stomach the fact that that one person you could do anything for takes u for a fool, I hate regretting my actions rather I always want to see the light in my actions. My brother u are so on point, to love is a risk but to love we must.
    Good write up, there fellow readers, after readin this pls watch the following movies if u haven’t ( Temptation by tyler perry, why did I get married)

• kingkurtissmith
      Jan 06, 2014 @ 21:39:29

“Love is a risk but to love we must”…very powerful quote. Temptations by Tyler Perry is one wonderful movie, I am surely going to write a piece about it. Thank you so very much bro. Your input is very much appreciated. God bless

3. Marques
    Jan 07, 2014 @ 11:24:25

Nice

4. stella
    Jan 07, 2014 @ 21:03:28

Hmmmmm,nice one.kip it up boss+i tink falling in love again.

5. Happydoll
    Jan 08, 2014 @ 22:53:15

I agree with u that love is a risk we must take, but I know that what was meant for me will never miss me and what misses me was not for me. That doesn’t mean I have to sit and not take the risk. love is a beautiful thing. I believe in love and I love taking risk.

#that~calabar~girl

6. Lesh J.
    Feb 23, 2014 @ 07:12:12

Love is a risk, but when you’ve been badly disfigured by its flames..you don’t take risks anymore. You go in with your helmet, and iron clad heart. I admire those that just love freely, it’s never come that freely to me. Nice piece though, Kurtis!

• kingkurtissmith
      Feb 25, 2014 @ 14:48:40

Exactly!…You’re on point!…helmet is allowed but iron clad heart?..can you love genuinely with an iron clad heart, I’ll advice rubber heart so it doesn’t break easily…*wink*. Thanks dear

7. jasmine
    Oct 04, 2014 @ 13:14:49

Am not the type that likes taking risks but in a case where age is no longer ur friend,do u still suggest one takes a risk?correct me if am wrong isn’t that meant for newly in love teenagers.

8. Trackback: What Fried Fish Taught Me About Love | King Kurtis Smith's Life Transforming Blog